Re: Gas tank sealing rubber

To: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Gas tank sealing rubber
From: "KENNETH MASON" <meditionm@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:50:56 -0800
Ron
The seal is only large enough to enclose the hole under the tank.  The idea is
to keep small animals and maybe water from entering the boot (trunk) area and
making nests or rust.  When I recently installed my tank, I found massive
areas of daylight when looking up thru said hole in trunk floor with the tank
and gasket in place.  I could stick my hand into some areas!  I asked a local
Healey expert as to whether the seal was supposed to close off the tank/trunk
floor joint.  After some delay and a smile (or was it a grimace?) he said he
has fought this seal area on every Healey he had worked on.  His final word on
the subject was "Good Luck".  In my case I used the supplied gasket (it is
foam about 1/2-inch thick) to cushion the tank when it was mounted then I used
some expandable foam from Home Depot to fill the gaps around the frame trunk
floor opening.
Ken Mason
BJ7 in work