Re: Rear OD housing removal.

To: "Bluechipracing" <bluechipracing@snet.net>,
Subject: Re: Rear OD housing removal.
From: "David Ward" <david@bighealey.ltd.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:14:13 -0000
Hello Gerald,
I noticed your question to the list for overdrive information.
Unfortunately the gearbox stabiliser tie-bar is almost always overtightened
and this tends to distort the alloy annulus housing at the rear of the model
"A" Laycock overdrive unit and leads to oil leaks.The main function of this
stabiliser is that in heavy braking it prevents the whole drivetrain unit
going forward and putting the  fan through the radiator.
I have myself when faced with this problem removed the complete overdrive
from the rear of the gearbox and carried out the repair on the bench, if you
remove the gearbox/overdrive fixing bolts from the rear of the overdrive
unit, the tie-bar,propshaft,gearbox mountings,speedo angle drive, drain the
oil, unbolt the overdrive from the rear of the gearbox adapter plate, jack
up the rear of the gearbox until the overdrive is free of the chassis[ do
not over jack up or you will puncture the radiator with the fan cooling
blades, and also the throttle rod will slide out of the bush on the
bulkhead].
 At this stage remove the eight long springs, you can rotate the overdrive
unit to clear the gearbox mainshaft and remove the overdrive from the
vehicle, the re-fitting is the reverse, and helped with a prayer book and a
bible.
 When re-fitting it does help if a second person is standing inside the body
with a bar inside the chassis cross bracing and using this to lever the
overdrive against the spring pressure to enable the draw bolts to be
secured.
Good luck.
Regards.
David.