Re: Brake Fluid Vanished Without Trace; BJ8.

To: <GLWilkieAlaska@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Fluid Vanished Without Trace; BJ8.
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:30:22 -0800
Graham,

Sounds like you may have two problems:

1) the pedal to the floor is often caused by failure of the small seal in the
MC piston
    that allows fluid into the MC when the pedal is released then seals that
path
    when the brake pedal is pressed.  Usually, you can verify this by pushing
and
    releasing the pedal, if the fluid falls (pedal released) and fluid rises
(pedal pressed)
    this confirms this problem, but since you've lost your fluid you can't test
this (maybe
   you can fill the reservoir to test this)

2) there is a seal in the servo called the "gland seal."  This seals around the
shaft for
    the vacuum piston.  If this fails or gets hard and brittle fluid will be
sucked into the
    vacuum canister.  The Moss rebuild kit supplies this seal and everything
else to
    rebuild the servo, but some Listers have had a problem with the vacuum
piston
    sticking ... there is a special dry lubricant on the inside of the vacuum
piston and if
    this is gone the vacuum piston can stick.  There is an moly-epoxy dry
lubricant
    available but it's expensive

bs

Subject: Brake Fluid Vanished Without Trace; BJ8.