Hand brake sealing?

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hand brake sealing?
From: "KENNETH MASON" <meditionm@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:15:12 -0800
I just attached the hand brake sector to the drive shaft tunnel using the two
spacers, two flat head screws, and the foam seal.  I see what the seal
accomplishes, but there is a quarter inch or wider gap between the drives
shaft tunnel and the actual handbrake mounting bracket that is inside of the
tunnel.  Lots of room for leakage.  The usual sources for parts do not show
any seal other than the foam one.  Do I not understand what is happening here
or what?  The foam seal closes off maybe 10-percent of the opening.  What
closes off the remainder?
Ken Mason BJ7 in work