Re: Refitting the trans

To: "Thomas Mulligan" <tpmul@worldnet.att.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Refitting the trans
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:35:37 -0500
Doublecheck this with others, but I believe they are speaking of what are
described as "dowel bolts" in the master parts list for the bell housing on a
BT7. There were two of these locating bolts holding the bell housing to the
rear plate of the engine. If I remember, looking from the back, they were
located in the uppermost left, and lower most right bolt holes. They
accurately locate the bell housing so as not to put undue off center strain on
the shaft, and if the other bolts are installed first, the dowel bolts may not
line up. (these bolts have a thick unthreaded portion of shaft below the
head).
This appears to be the same on a BJ8 in the Moss catalog, and (2) dowel bolts
are listed as required. The rest of the bolts are regular bolts.
David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA