BN3s - Or are they?

To: BJ8Healeys <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Subject: BN3s - Or are they?
From: John Harper <AH@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:54:13 +0100
On the UK 100 Register we have three cars that have from time to time
been referred to as BN3s.

The only one that we are aware of that has any history relating to the
Orkneys is in fact a standard BN1 built at the end of November 1953.
This car was until recently with an owner living North of Cambridge,
England and to the best of my knowledge is still there. He recovered it
from the Orkney Islands some years ago. It was then and now in a very
sorry state. What is not as originally built, is the upper bodywork and
cockpit area. This very much resembles a 100/6. For example the bonnet
is hand made but is longer at the front with special hinges. The
windscreen is fixed and the seating is 2+2. The car was first registered
according to the BMIHT records to the Donald Healey Motor Company and
the colour recorded as 'primer'.

It is thought very likely that this car was used to establish the shape
etc. of the 100/6 but the evidence is not totally conclusive and the
present owner is still trying to find out more before making any claims.

Having said all this there is no evidence to call this a BN3. The only
identification are the standard plates as fitted to a BN1 at that time.

The other car claiming to be a BN3 may well be genuine and is very
likely the one that Rich Chrysler is referring to. The spec looks very
similar to that which I have. However if this is also the car described
in Austin-Healey 100 & 3000 by McLavin and Tipping page 31 this clearly
shows an Austin Engine but perhaps I am nitpicking here because the
engines were virtually the same. I did however hear that it was a whole
A90 Westminster front subframe with suspension, steering, engine and
gearbox fitted. There was no chassis in the form we would expect forward
of the footwells.

As Rich says this car was deemed a failure and it is said that Geoff
Healey had hoped that it had been crushed.

The last car we have on record is Pat Quinn's. I saw this car in Sydney
a couple of years back and also often meet one of its previous owners
who now lives in Cornwall not far from Perranporth. The history of this
car is fascinating. One part of the story is that a wife of a previous
owner set it on fire because her husband had been unfaithful.

Pat can tell you more about this cars history so I will not take up any
more time.

All the best

--
John Harper