Steering box

To: Healey webforum <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering box
From: "Ph.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 17:39:55 +0200
My BJ8 steering box and steering tube were not in line as a result from
an accident by the PO. A local blacksmith heated the tube and managed to
get the tube beautifully back in line with the box again. One tiny
problem: the tube is now loose in the box - with a bit of force I can
turn the tube while holding the box.
I considered heating the box in the oven in my kitchen and cooling the
end of the tube in the fridge but I've been informed I will be risking
my marriage (and I would like to commemorate our 40th wedding
anniversary next year). Other solutions known to the list? Would
Locktite do the job?  I can't imagine  much damage can be done when the
tube is not rigidly locked in the box: the tube is clamped to the body,
as far as I can see from drawings, and the box is rigidly fixed to the
chassis. What can go wrong?
Your comments will be appreciated, as ever.
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432