Fw: re. Bugeye Sprites, anyone?

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: re. Bugeye Sprites, anyone?
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 15:08:12 -0400
Gary,
That's a tough one...  I've always wanted a Bugeye Sprite, and have kept my
eyes open for a Bugeye for years.I've come to the realization that maybe price
/ condition / value may never be where I need it to be in order for me to buy
one.
Despite my tricarb which I have lavished time and money on, I do have to
consider cost/value. I can't justify at this point large sums in a car that I
cannot at some point recoup a substantial portion, if need be.
The bugeye situations I'd have thought ideal would be a good solid decent
looking driver at around $7K. or a really nicely restored car for about $12K.
-Perhaps that is unrealistic---it seems it may be.
What I could not consider would be a Bugeye in the $9-12K range that would
require restoration. Lets face it, even doing a lot of the work yourself, then
you'd have a Sprite costing at least $18-20K, and not enough car to justify
the expense and effort. (No knock on sprites, just talking finances here). The
car you mention, being as original as it is, really is most valuable to
someone who would restore it. -But the price is high enough that the total
cost (restored) is not justified, unless the buyer has "who-gives-a-darn"
money.  I guess for me it boils down to that for me, the big Healey is a
passion, while the Bugeye is just something I'd really like to have.
David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA