Problem?? with oil pressure

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Problem?? with oil pressure
From: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:22:43 -0500
Hi Folks, I can't seem to keep the oil pressure in my "comfort zone."
29E engine in my BT7 Mk2.  I bought this car new and I've always turned
my own wrenches so technospeak is OK by me.  The engine is very fresh
and has its second new oil pump recently installed.  It doesn't seem to
matter what oil I use...20W50 or straight 50 wt. Valvoline.  Heck, I
even tried straight 60 wt. once.  Startup pressure is 65 psi with any
oil.  After spirited runs on a straight lonely road at 80 - 100 mph,
running pressure at 3k rpm barely comes up to 20 psi regardless of the
oil wt.  All bearing clearances are correct.  Could the relief spring be
so weak that I'm bypassing all the time??  Has anyone ever jammed
something behind the plunger to prevent its opening at all.  Now I'm on
my second new M+++ oil pump (gear type) in under 1000 miles.  Are these
ever so badly built such that the oil is bypassing internally??  What do
you racers do to keep good oil pressure??  I have installed a spin-on
filter conversion and I have an oil cooler that I could install if
needed.  This baffles the dickens outa me and I'm really hoping for some
help from this awesome list.  Many Thanks!!
Jack