RE: Inline Gas Filter and Rear Main Seal

To: "'Larry Swift'" <mgtd51@adelphia.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Inline Gas Filter and Rear Main Seal
From: "Alan" <Alan@nfahc.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 21:05:23 +0100
Hi Larry.
I have experience of both of these issues. During a tour of the Loire valley
last year one of our party started having problems with misfiring and power
loss on his 100M replica.  We swapped points and everything was good for a
while then the problem returned. We swapped the condensor and everything was
fine - for a while.  So it continued, stopping twice a day, to replace
various ignition bits. After also replacing the coil and the distributor cap
to no avail, we finally checked the fuel supply.  You've got it - blocked
in-line fuel filter. We threw it away and all problems disappeared.

Obviously since it was blocked it had been doing a good job of extracting
the crud that would otherwise get to the carbs.  My recommendation is to fit
it close to the carbs where it can be replaced easily. Every year would be
prudent.

The rear engine oil seal is a must. It reduced the leakage from the bottom
of the bellhousing on my BJ8 by 90% so the drips on the garage floor became
a nuisance not a hazard.  I used a Denis Welch but they all do the same job.
The Denis version is square so cutting out the engine back plate can be done
with an angle grinder.

The next major recommend is to fit one of the PCV valves from the Nock
Emporium.  Less than $10 and ALL engine oil weeps are GONE.  Nothing from
the oil filler, nothing from the bell housing, Nothing, nowhere.

Enjoy.
            http://www.nfahc.co.uk
            mailto:alan@nfahc.co.uk