Re: Rear Wheel Seal Replacement

To: "Rizzo Steven D LtCol AETC/XPRU" <Steven.Rizzo@RANDOLPH.AF.MIL>,
Subject: Re: Rear Wheel Seal Replacement
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 06:30:16 -0700
Steve,

British Tool:

http://www.britishtool.com/servtool.htm

I believe Hemphill's Healey Haven also stocks them, probably BCS too.

The bearing is splash lubricated with differential oil.   There is a gasket and
O-ring
that seal the outside of the bearing (against the axel), and the seal for the
inside.
Working from memory, you have to pull the hub to get to the inner seal, but you
don't necessarily have to pull the bearing from the hub (it's pressed in).  The
hub
is a press fit on the axel housing.  Someone on the list has suggested
reversing
the axel (once removed) and using it as a puller for the hub.

You don't need to replace the hub nut unless it's buggered-up (they're not
cheap),
but if you're out of unused sides of the tab (lockdown) washer you should
replace it.

bs

Subject: Rear Wheel Seal Replacement