Thanks for the help

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Thanks for the help
From: MKIII4ME@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 19:32:29 EDT
Thank you all,

I must say, I am really grateful  for this new media for information
exchange.

As many of you know, I  have been having a sporadic problem in my BRG BN7.

It would create a very  disturbing noise at no regular time.

It could be a block from the house  or miles down the road.

Sometimes I could drive all weekend without a  chirp.

When I sent an e-mail to Jim at the club with a plea for guidance,  he put
the word out on the autox.

Thank you all who sent me  the great suggestions as to where to look for the
problem.

And even  for the one idea that was not so great.

I think I must have gotten at  least as many different remedies as I did
e-mails.

Very  interesting.

I am not sure if I have solved the problem of the  random noise generator.

I pulled the starter and found the shaft to be  bent about 3/16".

Suspecting this to be a problem,

I bought a new  armature in stock in Seattle at Romaine Electric on 6th
South.

While  replacing the armature, I found the return spring, the small one
against the  starter body, to be crushed and not very functional.

I worked on the  spring for a while and cleaned up the slide for it.

It now functions as  it should.

By the way, FYI, the nut on the end of the armature is  Left hand thread.

(I have marked up my shop manual to show  this.)

I got it back together late yesterday.

I will be  road testing it this weekend.

Keeping all my fingers and toes  crossed.

Thanks again

Happy  Healey-ing

Phil.daniels@metrokc.gov

Philip M.  Daniels

Engineering

Metropolitan King  County

Wastewater Treatment Division

Department of Natural  Resources and Parks

MS BWO-NR-0100

22509 State Route 9  SE

Woodinville, WA 98072