Re: Limpert Differencial Gear Set

To: "Blue One Hundred" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Limpert Differencial Gear Set
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:25:47 -0700
Guess I owe it to the List to get this right, so I dug out the instructions
that came with my Lempert gearset:

"BREAK IN PROCEDURE

A new ring and pinion installed with new bearings will initially generate
higher than normal operating temperatures.  It is advisable to use whichever
of the following break in procedures matches your application:

1) with vehicle still on jack stands and rear-end filled with proper amount
   of lube, run in forward and reverse approximatley 2 to 3 minutes
2) drive vehicle approximately 10 miles at normal operating speeds.
   Accelerate and decelerate several times conservatively, then let cool.
3) do not do any heavy towing for 300 miles"

I did all 3, forgoing towing my 32' speedboat with my Healey for the first 300m
;)

bs

Bob / Bob -

Sorry, I stand corrected RE my last email.  I guess being burning hot
to the touch just didn't sound right to me.  My lempert set didn't
come with the break in instructions so I can't say...  I would still
check the oil!

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8