Follow-up to the Mechanical Mystery Tour

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Follow-up to the Mechanical Mystery Tour
From: STEV0001@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:10:22 EDT
Hello:

    You may recall that six weeks or so ago, I asked  the list for help in
diagnosing a problem with my BJ8.  The problem  happened as I was driving when,
following a very loud grinding noise,  something exploded through the bell
housing, leaving a large hole.   Following the incident, the car continued to
start, shift and drive with no  problem.  I received many helpful suggestions
from Healey list members and  promised to report back once the car was
diagnosed
and undergoing repair.

    This morning, the transmission was removed and the  mechanic (Mike from
John Bull Automotive) found three crunched up washers and  spring remnants in
the bottom of the bell housing.  Mike surmised that an  earlier starter change
(prior to my ownership) resulted in these "extras" from  the old starter being
left to roll around in the bottom of the bell  housing.  Since the car was
not driven hardly at all before I bought it,  the problem likely took a while
"surface." But wow...when it did  surface, it did so with a bang...literally.

    So...thanks again for all of your suggestions and  encouragement.  Once
again, this list has proved to be a wonderful  resource.

Steve Gizzi
Benicia, CA

BJ8 #43007, 79 MGB L/E, et al