Injun trouble

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Injun trouble
From: "Mel Brunet" <mburnet@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:50:47 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Healey Folks

I am in need of some help with my engine.  I can not get it to start.

 A little history:

I started a restoration on my 67 BJ8 in 2001 and before the body work I sent
my engine to a mechanic I knew for an overhaul.  He had never worked on a
healey engine before. Engine was built with new bearings, rings, and cam.
Anyway, the engine had been sitting in my garage since 2002, not test
started, awaiting body work which was extensive.  Bodywork done, engine goes
back in, valves set using the 13 minus 1 method.  Engine will not start, it
will not even misfire.  I found that the distributor drive was installed 180
degrees out.  Still will not fire even after gas placed in cyclinders.
Starter dragging.  Check compression - low - only one cyclinder reads near
90.  Mechanic says the engine has sat and needs to run to get rings to set,
sounded reasonable.  Took head off and in for valve job, which was not done
at time of rebuild.  While head was off I poured about 4 ounces of 30 wt oil
in each cyclinder to see if it would hold and they did.  #4 leaked about 1/2
in 24 hours.  Got the head back, also installed new rocker shaft and
bearings, torqued down,  set valves .012 and still same low compression.
Got a new reduction gear starter to turn engine faster.  The points are set,
plugs set and are firing, timing light shows timing is close.  When I try to
start it acts like it is going to start but it has not. Has not even
backfired.   New coil.

Will an engine with low compression start?  5 cyclinders around 60 and 1 at
90.

Are the valves set right?  1st valve fully opened 13-1= adjust #12 .012 and
so on.

Could the cam be installed wrong?  When I put a timing light on it the
flywheel notch is right on the arrow.  When the #1 cyclinder is at top of
compression stroke the  pointer is on the flywheel notch.

There may be something else that I am not thinking of.  Anyway, I know this
is a little long, and a very sad story, but I would appreciate any help.

Mel Brunet