Re: I tot I thaw thum Healey's

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I tot I thaw thum Healey's
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:17:25 -0400
Perhaps they were headed for AHCA Conclave in Winston-Salem, NC with most
attendees arriving at the hotel on Sunday afternoon.  This was stated to be
probably the largest Conclave in history, with about 250 Healeys registered
and more than 500 people.  We just got home, having left this morning.
Conclave continues through Thursday, but for us
real life intrudes.....

On Monday evening, several listers including myself, Keith Pennell, Reid
Trummel, Peter Braun, Ken Freese, Martin MacGregor (interiors and Bristleflex
Door Seal), and five or six others (sorry, guys, but introductions were brief
and due to seating arrangements I didn't have the pleasure of conversation
with you) met at a local sports bar.  It's always good to be able to put a
face and name together for fellow listers, and to talk about Healeys.  The
gathering was lister Carlos Cruz's idea, but unfortunately he didn't make it
-- no idea why.

I was the first to leave a little after 10:00 pm, so the others had the
pleasure of passing me while I sat on the shoulder in the rain and received a
souvenir of Winston-Salem from the North Carolina Highway Patrol.    :^P
I wasn't speeding, honest!

The car show yesterday was on the grounds of Reynolda House and village, which
is truly a Winston-Salem jewel.  The intermittent rain kept tops up and
bonnets down, mostly, but there were plenty of Healeys to fill up the main
lawn.  One of the three original Healey 4000s made an appearance, which
prompts me to say that I have taken on the responsibility of being the 4000
registrar as well as the BJ8 guy.  I already have records on 67% of the 4000s
originally produced (i.e., 2).  I believe the third is currently in Australia,
under restoration at The Healey Factory.

It was also a pleasure to see our resident Bonneville record-setter Keith Turk
again, and to see his latest car.  I can't imagine traveling those speeds in a
car that size, holding a steering wheel that small....

By the way, as alert listers will recall we recently had a thread about fan
blades breaking off.  One of the cars at the show graphically demonstrated the
results of this.  I'll send a photo to anyone who wants it.

Conclave 2006 will be in the 'burbs of Akron, OH; 2007 will be on the shores
of Lake Champlain at Burlington, VT; in 2008 at San Diego; and in 2009 in
Taos, NM.  Y'all are invited to attend.  Perhaps we can have a larger lister
gathering next time.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 (and 4000!) Registry