Re: BJ8 Spark "Challenge"-I Think

To: Kelewhit <kelewhit@comcast.net>, Healey List
Subject: Re: BJ8 Spark "Challenge"-I Think
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:30:55 -0700
Dave:

Something that happened to me with a friends BJ8 awhile back:

After intalling a Pertronix, the car ran for awhile and quit - just like
yours.  Turned out that the magnetic wheel of the Pertronix all but
eliminated the clearance between the rotor and the dome of the centre
terminal of the dist cap - fried the rotor real quick!

The fix in that case was to reduce the 'height' of the centre terminal
sligtly with a Dremel tool.  I guess some distributors had less 'height'
clearance than others - this particular one had been rebushed, and probably
lost a bit right there.  The rotor and centre terminal showed obvious
contact when examined.

Could be that's your problem.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.