lacquer, key scratch, final results

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: lacquer, key scratch, final results
From: "William Moyer" <William.Moyer@millersville.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 05:08:34 -0400
Since we've got a new paint thread going I thought I'd post the results of my
request for information about fixing the key scratch that went the length of
my passenger side.  The problem I thought I was facing was finding a source
for acrylic lacquer.  I found that you can get it (not directly in PA where I
live) shipped from a couple of place on the internet that I've listed below.
Cost - $475/gallon.  Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

In the end I chickened out and took it to a well-recommended shop and am
having the whole side reshot.  It's been there for two weeks and I expect to
get it back next week.  Expected cost is around a thousand dollars.

A tip o' the driving cap and thanks to all who replied, especially to those
listed below.

Richard Bittmann, Fred Wescoe, Greg Lemon, Charlie Baldwin

Dave Russell, David W. Jones

And here, in no particular order, is what they had to say.

I've discovered that Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel "Safety
Red" is a good match to Colorado Red (Guards Red) for touch up of
chassis/frame.

find a top shelf detail painter. The painter/detailer will mix as much as he
feels he needs and then air
brush the scratch.  He will use a mouth blown instrument.  He will put on as
many layers or coats as necessary to build up the scratch to the surrounding
paint surface. When the paint has cured enough, he will use an extremely fine
polish to
blend the built up paint into the original paint. {from Bill.  I went this
route and the nice lady looked at it and told me I'd be better off painting
the whole side, which is what other painters had told me, I just didn't want
to bite the bullet.  The scratch went below the primer in some areas and the
paint is so thick she said the labor in building up the layers would get close
to doing the side.}

Check Hemmings Motor News, I don't have one at the moment but recall a guy
in there advertising laquer, good luck {the current issue had a great article
on painting classic cars and gave a couple of sources for the paint}

URL=http://www.williamwolf.com/ - lacquer source

Joe Cahill

General Manager

Hibernia Auto Restoration

973-627-1882

also a lacquer source and a very pleasant gentleman to deal with as well.

Several members reported being able to get lacquer in their states (USA) as
consumers but not as the owner of a paint shop.