Speedo failure

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Speedo failure
From: Lou G <lgalper1@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 23:01:44 -0700
On the way to Oregon last month, my odometer stopped working .

The technician at the speedo place said that oil worked its way up the
cable from the gearbox and ruined the gears, and that there is supposed
to be a seal at the
gearbox end of the cable.  Does anyone have knowledge of the pinion seal
for the sideshift gearbox?  There appears to be one listed on the AH
spares site, but
M+ss only lists a seal for non overdrive gearboxes (how many of these
could there be?).

When I pulled the speedo out, there was no indication of excess oil
anywhere.   The odometer failed after running the first 500 miles to
Oregon.   It had about 4000 miles on it since the last rebuild.  This
failure is a hard one to foresee.

Many of the big Healeys use the 1325 ratio speedo, which is printed in
small letters at the bottom of the speedo face.
Keeping our cars on the road is almost a group effort,  if anyone has
extra internal parts available, please let me know.

Lou
San Diego
BN1 with 4 spd