RE: Friday funnies-History of the Middle Finger

To: "'MBran89793@aol.com'" <MBran89793@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Friday funnies-History of the Middle Finger
From: James Wilson <j.wilson@mgt.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:33:38 +0100
"History of Middle Finger"

As a matter of fact, the American middle finger salute departs from British
practice. More properly, the British gesture is to waggle TWO fingers at
their French friends. The forefinger as well as the middle finger. With the
hand turned away its the "V" for victory sign, as it happens. With the hand
turned inwards, its .... rude.

And I rather doubt that "pluck" has anything to do with it. I understand the
word derives from the Old Scandanavian "fukka" and "focka", and it spread
with the Vikings and their friendliness with the locals they encountered.