Re:   Paint colors

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:   Paint colors
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:18:27 EDT
For the engine, if you're going to paint it in place, the best deal is a
quart of Hirsch Engine Paint in "Healey Engine Green" which is easy to brush
paint
on. Spraying in place is a pain since you have to do so much masking, and you
still manage to either overspray or miss pieces.
Re Healey Blue, does anyone know if the paint supplier in Long Beach is still
in business (was two initials, like R&R Paints, or something like that. I had
heard that the previous owner was no longer operating the business, but that
his son was doing it. They sell, to my mind, the best shade of Healey Blue
that anyone is mixing -- and, no, don't bother to ask for the formula, since
that
is their stock in trade. Almost everyone now is doing color coat/clear coat.
If that source isn't available, I understand that PPG has a pretty good modern
formula based on the original colors in their color library.
No matter what, always have your shop prime and spray out a piece of scrap
panel before you have them do the whole car, and have them spray the entire
outside of the car at one go, with the fenders and doors either hung loosely or
set up at the proper angles next to the body.
Cheer
Gary