Re: Healey tow bar revisited

To: <Awgertoo@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Healey tow bar revisited
From: "M Lempert" <mlempert@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:51:50 -0400
Michael's images have been uploaded.  http://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/towbar

----- Original Message -----
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
To: mlempert@bellsouth.net ; healeys@autox.team.net
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 2:34 PM

In a message dated 9/28/2005 1:38:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mlempert@bellsouth.net writes:
I've loaded some pictures to my site.  Does this look useful and safe ?
http://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/towbar
Mike--

I have a collapsible tow bar that I have used on a few occasions for tows of
200 miles or so at highway speeds, attached via Bill Bolton tow eyes.  I
have had no problems and the car follows perfectly, the steering wheel
turning slightly to follow as needed, then straightening, etc.  I am careful
to always have some headway on before starting a turn as otherwise the front
tires will scrub briefly.

I know the four attached pictures will be stripped from the list but perhaps
you'll want to put them up on your site so that others can see the concept.
The folding arm of the towbar allows me to insert the two pins welded onto
the ends of the bar into the toweyes and I fasten them with removable
snap-pins.  The removeable crossbar fastens in a similar manner once the bar
is in place and keeps everything together just in case.  I use a length of
nylon braid around the front anti-roll bar for safety's sake.

Collapsible tow bars are readily obtainable--just google.  There are lots of
ways that one can be attached to a Healey but since I already had the tow
eyes in place I went the way shown.

Best--Michael Oritt, 100 Le Mans