Fuel pump question

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel pump question
From: "Taylor, Todd S" <todd.s.taylor@lmco.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 09:39:38 -0400
I've been trying to get my SU fuel pump to pump..
My question is about the star looking clip that holds the cap on the
bottom of the filter inside the pump.
I believe the cap opens and closes to keep the pressure in the pump,
does the clip
need to be a certain tension or be adjusted correctly.  If the tension
on this spring
or clip is not correct I assume the pump won't work???  Mine isn't
pumping, it's working(clicking)
but no gas is coming out...  I opened it up and found that one of the
corners of the clip had come off.
How tight does the clip have to hold the cap to the bottom of the
filter???

To loose it won't close to hold the gas and create a pressure.
To tight I wouldn't think it would allow gas in at all.  Any insight on
this??  Thanks Todd..

The gas tank is not plugged...