Re: Can someone explain 'magnaflux'?

To: "Alan F Cross" <alanx@proaxis.demon.co.uk>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Can someone explain 'magnaflux'?
From: "Terry Blubaugh" <tblubaugh@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:23:37 -0700
Hi Alan,

Magnaflux is the trade name for Magnetic Particle Testing, where a magnetic
leakage field is used to detect surface and subsurface cracks.  It is done
by inducing a magnetic field in a ferro-magnetic material, and then dusting
the surface with iron particles.  These particles can be either dry or
suspended in fluid.  A surface defect will allow the magnetic field to
"leak" out of the part, distort the field, and lay the iron particles down
on the defect.

Terry Blubaugh
Southern California
2-BT7's & a XKEv12