Re:   Healey Club Magazines

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:   Healey Club Magazines
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 17:10:11 EDT
In a message dated 10/4/05 12:38:53 AM, owner-healeys-digest@autox.team.net
writes:

> Dearest New Editors,
>
> I certainly hope that this edition as well as  future editions of both
> Healey clubs, will soon choose to enclose these award winning magazines in
> Mailing Envelopes so when they arrive at our mail boxes they look like
award

> winning periodicals.

Actually, the choice of packing and shipping methods is not under the control
of the club magazine editors, since it is a significant cost issue, but is
rather a decision that would have to be put to the boards of the clubs. When I
was editing British Car Magazine we made the decision to go to a protective
wrap -- it's called polybagging -- which most but not all printers can do. As
recall, the cost was about 30 cents a copy (but I could be wrong on that -
though I know the cost was not inconsequential). One interesting side effect
was
that we got flack from our more environmentally conscious readers who were
concerned that we were using up perfectly good petroleum to package the
magazines,
while creating a non-disposable, non-recyclable waste product at the other
end. Unfortunately, double covering the magazines -- as Smithsonian does --
was
even more expensive.
So, if you would like to see your Healey magazine covered in some sort of
protective wrap, tell your delegate or board member to consider it.
Cheers
Gary Anderson
Incoming editor
Austin-Healey Magazine