rear end BT7 how did PO manage to assemble ?

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: rear end BT7 how did PO manage to assemble ?
From: Michael Giroux <MGIROUX@sgl.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 12:53:39 -0400
       I took apart the rear end of my BT7 on Tuesday to install a
new ring & pinion gear set (3:54)  (and find out why so many oil
leaks), only to discovered 2 "bad things" the PO did.
  1- Spacer and o ring for bearing were not present on drivers end of axle.
  2- Both ends of axle had right hand thread nuts on them !!! hard to
do but it was done somehow .

Yes I know that the opposite ends of the axle have different threaded
nuts but someone forgot to tell the previous owner.The passenger side
nut was cut in many places with a chisel in attempt to remove/install
the nut. When I tried to remove the nut would not move when turned in
the opposite direction to the drivers side nut (which came off more
easily than I expected) , but when turned in the direction to tighten
,it moved and eventually came off .  The passenger sided had a right
hand thread nut on it !! Yes it seems impossible but to prove that it
was the wrong nut I threaded it easily on drivers side of axle !  I
repaired the threads with a special file designed to "restore
threads", hopefully they will be good enough, if not I will use my
spare axle. I have ordered the spacer and nut from Bob Yule of
Autofarm  ( "Bob Yule" <autofarm@cyg.net> ) and will soon be able to
test the axle thread repair.

The method I used to remove nut due to lack of large enough socket.
     Removal of nut(s) was accomplished with the aid of a very large
adjustable crescent wrench, the jaw width was over 2/3 length of 1
flat of the nut when put on nose first , and I hammered on the jaw of
the wrench with a nylon hammer. It is hard to explain but it worked
well. The reason I used the nylon hammer was to minimize damage to
studs of hub extension when accidently hit with hammer.

  Michael Giroux
  62 BT7
  71 TR6
  81 Malibu (all standard trans 400,000km)