RE: One Man's (or Woman's) Taste, Pimp My Sprite, or Modified

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: One Man's (or Woman's) Taste, Pimp My Sprite, or Modified
From: "Reid Trummel" <editor_reid@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:16:42 +0000
I don't mean to be too cruel (just cruel enough...), but you know that
expression, "tastefully modified"?  Well, it does NOT come to mind in this
case...

Reid Trummel
1956 100 Le Mans
1956 100M
1956 Ski-Master
1967 3000 Mark III

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:21:47 -0500
From: Patton Dickson <57healey@gmail.com>
Subject: One Man's (or Woman's) Taste, Pimp My Sprite, or Modified Sprite
For-Sale

I was heading back from a meeting in West Houston today when my
well-trained British Car eye spotted a Sprite for-sale parked in front
of a MACCO.

This wasn't your everyday Sprite, but a modified car.  I decided to
stop and ask about the car, and it belonged to the shops detailer.
She LOVES her Sprite, and is only selling it because they moved from a
house to an apartment, and the car does not need to be stored
outdoors.   The car has some low profile tires, along with a Toyota
engine.   The shop owner told me the car was "scary-fast".  The car is
a 63 Sprite, and they are asking.... $6500.

Here is my dilemma.  I am looking at a car the owner obviously has
spent some real time on the car, probably as much as many of use would
spend restoring one to original.  The work looks pretty good, at least
better than the common 100 lbs of bondo and a cheap paint job.  The
biases of my personal taste make me wants to laugh at the car, but I
appreciate the work they put into it, and really appreciate the
passion she had for the car.   Additionally, the owner is far of the
traditional LBC demographic, and I think its good to encourage passion
for our cars wherever I find it.

I told her I was president of the local Healey club, and would pass
the information on, and I am, but is that enough?  Should I try to
give her a realistic view of the value of the car?  Is there a market
for modified Sprites to the pimp my ride types that would give it a
different value structure?  How do you react to cars that don't fit
the norm?

Anyhow here are the pictures, including one with the phone number if
you are truely interested.  I hope it finds a good home....

http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1963ModifiedSprite8.jpg
http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1963ModifiedSprite7.jpg
http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1963ModifiedSprite6.jpg
http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1963ModifiedSprite5.jpg