RE: Rear Axle Noise??

To: <ggilliam@usol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear Axle Noise??
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 19:37:43 -0500
Gordy,
My experience with U joints are that they will make noise when starting with
a clunk, and cause vibration when going bad while driving.  They are
normally progressive, but I've had some that had sudden failures.  Did you
try to push the U joint up and down?  Most of the play in U joints are from
the internal bearings worn out which will cause them to wobble up and down
or sidewise, not always noticeable if you just try to rotate the joint.  You
didn't mention any vibration or clunk and had little play so I would doubt
it is a U joint problem.

It sounds more like a wheel bearing going bad to me, particularly if it
comes from one side only.  I would expect vibration and other problems if it
were a trans or diff problem.  Did you try to run the car on stands with the
wheels on?  The extra weight may be enough to replicate part of the load of
the car to get a little noise from the side causing the noise.

I'd also check both wheels for leaks from the axles, both outside and inside
the brake drums.  Another good indication of a bearing lub problem.
Pete