Steering Wheel

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Wheel
From: "Fred Wescoe" <fredwescoe@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:27:27 -0500
Michael,

I strongly suggest that you use an old belt on the nut.  Use a smooth thick
leather or a very heavy web type fabric.  I have also used 3-4 wraps of an old
inner tube.  Just be sure to cover the nut with something very thick before
using channel lock pliers.  Place the pliers on the nut so that the bottom
(small) jaw of the pliers is on the under side of the nut.  This will tighten
the jaws of the pliers as you use pressure to turn the nut.  This process will
use only enough preasure on the pliers and the nut to loosen the nut.  This
process will not exert more pressure than is necessary and hopefully will
prevent damage to your bakelite.

I know I will get some flaming over this but after the nut is loose, use KY
jelly to lube the threads.  The KY jelly will not deteriorate over time and it
will not damage the bakelite or the threads.

I have used KY jelly on a lot on things on my car including rubber gaskets
wherever you need leakproof fittings; IE windshield wiper post gaskets leaking
into the cockpit and even taillight gaskets.  Much better that grease or
vaseline, both of which will deteriorate rubber over time.

Fred
BJ7

Hey Michael.
Yes - it's a standard right hand thread. So right side down loosens the
sucker.  Use a strap wrench to avoid gouging the soft finish.
            http://www.nfahc.co.uk
            mailto:alan@nfahc.co.uk