Edited Tire Story

To: "Reid Trummel" <Editor@healey.org>
Subject: Edited Tire Story
From: "John Soderling" <jsoderling@astound.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:24:55 -0800
Fearless Reid,

Personal & first-hand.  No racing or nails.

When I bought my Erika the Red in 1989, she was shod with 165R15 Dunlop SP4
tires that looked to have about 50% tread left.  I knew nothing about tire
age & safety so I drove on them for about a year and 6,000 miles, including
70 MPH freeway speeds, without any thought or knowledge of their age.

Then one day I was cruising at 65/70MPH on I-780 to attend the Wine
Country Classic races at Sears Point when my car started to bounce violently
like I'd lost wheel weights, broken a number of spokes or was about to loose
a wheel.  After pulling over, checking all my tire and finding nothing, I
limped back home at 30 MPH.  After jacking each wheel up to barely clear the
garage floor and rotating the tire/wheel, I found one that had a tread
separation, so I removed and mounted the spare.  About two months later as I
was cruising
on the freeway the same thing occurred and a second Dunlop SP4 had suffered
a tread separation .  At that point I put on four new Dunlop SP20s. The PO
had purchased and restored the car with the SP4 tires on it about seven
years before I purchased it, so they the were at least seven years old -
most likely more as they had about 50% tread when I bought it and he only
put on 1,000 miles since restoration.

I feel very fortunate (God is good) that I didn't have a serious accident
using those old tires.  I wished I had been warned about the dangers of
driving on old tires.

By the way, four months ago I replaced the five year old Dunlop SP20s, with
still useable tread, with new "T' rated Kumho 165R15 Power Star 758 tires
from Tire Rack (4 tires plus shipping for $135.25!) and they are so much
better than the SP20s were when new.  I now can't break the rear-end loose at
the same speed as I use to with the SP20s at my favorite "drifting corner".

Vrooom vrooom,
John