Air leak between hood bow and windshield--Bn1 and 2

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Air leak between hood bow and windshield--Bn1 and 2
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:28:55 EST
My solution to closing a gap between the hood and the windshield consists of
making a stay, one end of which attaches to the top using the (existing)
center triangular chrome "header rail retainer" and the other end of which
passes
down through the scuttle and allows you to tighten the hood down via a wingnut
or knurled nut from behind the dashboard.

The parts are available at any West Marine store and the tools to cut the
wire and swage the fittings are provided free to use at the store on the
rigging
bench. You will need to buy:

1. Approximately 12" of 1/8" diameter clear vinyl coated 1x19 stainless steel
wire (West Marine part #131862 @$1.19/foot).
2. Johnson Marine swage fork for 1/8" wire (West Marine part #113383 @$12.99).
3. Johnson Marine swage threaded terminal for 1/8" wire (West Marine part
#172124 @$6.99).
4. A short 1/4" clevis pin and cotter pin or ring to attach the fork to the
"header ring retainer" through the hole where the rubber buffer normally goes
(maybe $2.00).
5. A 1/4-28 wingnut or thumbnut to tighten down the rig under the dash (less
than $1.00).

Fabrication is as follows:

1. Attach fork to the retainer using the clevis pin.
2. Drill a 5/16" diameter hole in your scuttle just in front of the rear view
mirror, matching as best possible the angle of the windshield and pass the
threaded terminal down through the hole so that there is a sufficient amount of
threading to allow you to easily attach the wing or thumb nut from behind the
dashboard.
3. Measure the amount of wire that will be needed to attach the two fittings
together, cut the wire and using the nicopress tool at the rigging bench
insert the wire into the fittings and attach them. Put two or three crimps in
each.

That's it--after you erect the top and fasten down the standard clamps simply
pass the threaded terminal down through the hole, reach under the dash and
pull the top down tight against the windshield. Assuming your gasket is intact
and reasonably in place that will be the end of your air and water leaks from
between the top and the windscreen.

FWIW no one has ever noticed the hole in the scuttle of my car when the top
is down and no one has ever commented on the stay when the top is up. This
modification also reduces scuttle shake and mirror vibration.

Let me know if you cannot view the BCF site referred to in my last post and
need photos by email.

Best--Michael Oritt, 100 Le Mans