Re: Installing rear leaf springs

To: eorr@cogeco.ca, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Installing rear leaf springs
From: Jwhlyadv@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 06:43:18 EST
Ed,

I saved this article by Hoke Smith from the Atlanta Club Newsletter. Hope it
helps.
Jim Werner

Rear Spring Replacement
1964 BJ8
by Hoke Smith

I thought that replacing the rear springs of our bAnnabelleb would be
easy:
remove seven bolts, remove spring, and replace in reverse order. I should have
listened to my Momma! While trying to find a resource, or at best,
instructions on the best way to accomplish this task, I came across the
statement bIf
you are a religious person leave this task for someone elseb. After reading
that
quote, one side of me said bmaybe I canbtb but the other side of me said
bI
canb! Some of the best advice ever given to me occurred a long time ago when
I was a second grader at Tucker Elementary and it was given to me by a
wonderful non-politically correct teacher named Mrs. Keith. I was trying to do
something that was very hard for me to do and she was trying to encourage me.
When
in exasperation I said bI canbt do it!b, she corrected me by saying
bHoke,
never say I canbt . Instead, say Ibll tryb. Well now for over fifty
years her
wonderful advice has rewarded me on many occasions.

First of all, I will explain what should happen, then, what did happen, and
what tools and parts you will need to make your experience easier:
Step one: Raise rear of car and place jack stands firmly under frame. Also,
chock front tires in front and behind.
Step two : Remove both rear wheels
Step three: Soak all attaching bolts and nuts on a daily basis for several
days prior to removal with liquid wrench. (I used a new product called P.B.)
Step four: Place floor jack under middle of frame where it attaches to the
axles and raise spring to relieve pressure. (Oh, before I forget, it is best
complete removal and replacement on one side at a time where you will have a
reference in case you forget which bolt went where! This advise seems to come
with maturity you know!)
Step five: Remove both nuts from the rear shackles and remove shackle from
spring,
Step six: Remove nut and bolt from front of spring.
Step seven: Remove the four nuts from u-bolts attached to axel and lower
spring.
Step eight: Prepare new spring and hardware to be reattached by inserting the
four bushings at rear of springs and on to the shackles. I used white lithium
grease to thoroughly lubricate all contacts on springs before installing. By
the way, when you order springs from Moss or Victoria British, (I ordered mine
from the latter) , the rear bushings part # 5-340 were not included. I would
also order new nuts for the shackles and a new bolt and nut for the front
attachment when you order the springs.
Step nine Attach spring to the front bracket but do not tighten.
Step ten : Raise the spring with a bottle jack and patiently attach the two
u-bolts with the four nuts. Again, do not tighten.
Step eleven: You will now see that the rear of the spring is pushed tightly
against the car chassis. You can pull the spring down and attach the shackles
and bushings by using a large c-clamp attached to the top of the spring and
the
frame extension. With shackles bolted in place, tighten all nuts and bolts
and repeat on the other side.