56 BN2 100/4 Questions

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: 56 BN2 100/4 Questions
From: GSFuqua1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 17:30:04 EST
Ran into an interesting issue today while reassembling my motor.  After
putting the "Represented as new & balanced" flywheel on I checked the run out.
It
goes from as much as 4 thousands negative to 2 thousands positive. i.e. 6
thousands wobble or play.  Never mind the fact that the ring gear is obviously
not
new and the face has light pitting.

What is the collective wisdom on this?  That seems like quite a bit to me but
maybe I'm a little too conservative.

Also I was in the process of changing to the BJ8 Clutch.  The new B & B
clutch is not as tall or deep as the old original.  Perhaps 3/8ths of an inch
shorter, which to me means that the throw out bearing will have to make up that
difference by having that much additional play or pivot to engage or disengage.

My fear is that it will run out of room and ride against the pilot shaft IF it
reaches the release plate.  It may not even reach the release plate.

I know there are many who have made this change.  Is there something I'm
missing?  Or am I again just being a little to concerned?

Many thanks,

Gary Fuqua
Branson, MO