Ultrasonic Cleaning

To: <57healey@gmail.com>
Subject: Ultrasonic Cleaning
From: "Mark Goodman" <mkgoodman@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 14:33:00 -0500
Dear Patton,

It is a good idea to use ultrasound to try to break down the seized piston
in the Harbor Freight Cleaner.  As it is probably somewhat underpowered, I
suggest that you suspend the part in the water and not let the weight
"dampen" the ultrasonic energy
(which actually creates cavitation- the formation of vapor pockets that
implode and give off a tremendous amount of energy as heat and pressure).

I suggest that you use either a non flammable solvent or water and a
detergent as a cleaning fluid.  One way to test the strength of the tank is
to first make sure all of the trapped air is out of the liquid, and place a
piece of aluminum foil in the tank.  Within a few minutes, the foil will be
literally filled with holes caused by the cavitation.

I would be interested in hearing your results.

Mark Goodman