Re: Grill Surround

To: "Mark and Kathy" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Grill Surround
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 21:34:29 -0500
Hi Guys,
The Mk 2 and Mk3 3000 grille has an upper brow, continuous oval surround and
teeth made of vertical slats.
When assembled in the car a conscious decision was made to dull the chromed
finish of the surround in from the slightly raised contour part way into the
oval lip. This dull silver gray paint application was done for two reasons.
First there are dimples formed in this area where the inner mounting tabs
are spot welded inside. The dull gray would hide this. Second, they did not
want the vertical teeth to be reflecting back into the surround. The dulling
of this inner bit would leave a much cleaner and less distorted look to the
assembly.
This does not apply to the earlier 100/6 and early 3000 grille assembly
which comprised of the chromed upper brow, chromed lower thin strip, and the
chromed horizontal wavy teeth.
Rich Chrysler