Gear Box Cover

To: "Austin-Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gear Box Cover
From: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 10:33:07 -0500
I wanted to replace the nylon bushing at the end of the gear shit lever so I
removed the after-market leather boot and found the old rubber boot in
pieces underneath.  The 2.5 metal housing that holds the shift lever is not
centered in the 3.5 hole in the fiberglass gear box cover. It is way off.
Looking down on the shift lever, the circle of the metal housing touches the
circle of the fiberglass hole at about 1:30 hours (boy I wish I could send a
picture). That leaves gaps of 1 at 6:00 and > at 9:00.

Is this normal? Should I take up the gear box cover and reposition it to
center the gear shift lever in the neutral position?

Ned Smith

BJ8

near Chattanooga, TN

N34.98 W85.5