BT7 Speed

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: BT7 Speed
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:56:33 -0500
Nobody asked for the BT7, But I'm gonna tell you anyway!   :-)

About 30 years ago, when my car was a great deal more beat up than it is
today, -and I was less beat up than I am today....
I had had the car for about a year, and took it out to the longest straight
anywhere in the area. -It's the only time I've ever decided to "see what she
could do" ...top speed wise.  For what it is worth, on the std speedo, after a
loooooong runup, I got an indicated 107 mph. With the badly worn shocks it had
at the time, the front end was extremely light, what I called "skate" ...and
it was an experience I was not eager to repeat.

That was with the roadster top down, and with unmodified ....anything. --The
car at the time though had twin HS6 carbs on it rather than the appropriate
triple HS4s. -The car was properly tuned always back then, event thought the
car was rough. ---Bear in mind too, that at the time, the car was lugging an
appreciable amount of rust and bondo.

These days, fully restored and returned to the triple HS4 configuration, and
with properly rebuilt shocks.. The car is more fit for such activities,
however I'm not nearly as eager to test it's limits (in that way). I cannot
however resist flogging it down twisty roads.

I'm figuring that with TWO carbs, it hit somewhere around 107 mph....... so
with 3 carbs.....(quick calculation here......) the new top speed is 210.5
mph.........Right? That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. --Since I have no
plans to do empirical testing anytime soon.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA