RE: Rusted Part

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rusted Part
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 14:44:11 -0800
Hi, Ned -

Most of the severe rusting that we find on unrestored cars occurred when
they were just everyday vehicles and not pampered classics.  Once repaired,
it's very unlikely that the car is ever going to see much usage in snow/salt
or rain/mud that can cause rusting, or get caught frequently in rain with
the top down.  I would suggest that you get yourself some special
rust-converting paint such as that sold by Eastwood ("Rust Encapsulator",
which I think was formerly known as Corroless).  Make the repairs, then use
the rust encapsulator as a primer and it's very unlikely to do much rusting
afterwards -- even without a sealer between the surfaces.   You can force
the primer in between the surfaces, but what I preferred to do when
repairing my floors was weld them up solid to replace the stitch welds.
This should help stiffen the structure as well.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA