RE: POR15 -rust question / alternatives

To: acmiller@mhcable.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: POR15 -rust question / alternatives
From: "Dave Murphy" <roadwarriordave@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:47:14 -0500
Allan,
I've been having 5 of my cars oil sprayed for over 20 years and swear by it
but you have to get repeat applications in case the oil washes off. The oil
applied by some companies (like Oil Guard in Canada) looks similar to ATF.
It drips a bit at first and you'll always get dirty working on your car if
you do the entire underside, but it prevents rust and stops existing rust
from speading.
I have no experience with the POR specifically, but I think I have used
similar products. I think yearly or bi-yearly oil spraying with oil would be
superior to a one time paint application with POR. You may investigate using
both - try dipping a POR coated sample in oil to see if the oil adheres and
stays after spraying with water.
Dave Murphy
'66 BJ8
SEMAHC