Spinners

To: alan@andysnet.net, GSFuqua1@aol.com
Subject: Spinners
From: "Dave Murphy" <roadwarriordave@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 19:22:16 -0500
I distictly recall spinners were outlawed on new cars due to the perceived
danger they posed to pedestrians.

The same legislation also eliminated fake spinners on wheel covers and rigid
stand-erect hood ornaments. None of these could not be sold after January
1st 1968. A lot of the '67 cars have the rigid ornaments (e.g. Plymouth Fury
and Lincoln) but none of the '68 cars did (-Rolls Royce may be the sole
hardship case exception.) Spring loaded installations (like Mercedes had
used for years) allowed erect hood ornaments to return on some 1969's. But
we haven't seen a new spinner wheel cover or knock-off spinner since 1967.
BMC's introduction of the big hex-nuts in mid '67 was probably just in
anticipating or in keeping-up with the elimination of spinner wheel covers
on the US-built cars in September '67 for the new '68 cars.
-Dave Murphy
66 BJ8
SEMAHC