Evapo-Rust

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Evapo-Rust
From: "Allyn Richardson" <allynrichardson@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 07:13:52 -0800
Kent,
Haven't used Evapo-Rust yet, but I have ordered a gallon. My usual method of
rust removal on heavily corroded parts is to submerge the part in a plastic
tub of highly diluted Phosphoric acid. You can buy it at Home depot in a
quart for around $10 in the paint department. Jasco makes it for metal paint
prep. It's already diluted in the quart and you should further dilute it
with water. I usually dilute it 8-to-1 with water. At that point of dilution
the Jasco brand is pretty mild.

I usually use it to de-smut and de-oxidize parts that I have Oxy-Acetylene
welded.

What I like about it is that it is very effective and leaves a rust
protective coat of phosphate on the parts. What I don't like about it is it
can aggressively attack metals like cast iron leading up to orange peal of
the parts. Can't leave it in to long. Also excessive concentrations and time
in the bath can cause hydrogen embrittelment. Hydrogen embrittelment can
lead to metal fatigue crack failures later on.

Any parts treated with an acid dip need to be rinsed in clear water and
neutralized in a base solution like baking soda and water then rinsed again.
If not neutralized, moisture getting on the bare parts will re-activate the
acid and cause corrosion.

So, I hope the Evapo-Rust works as claimed. Once I get it and try it I will
pass along the results.

Allyn

name of winmail.dat]