spring ring modified - distributor next

To: "healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>,
Subject: spring ring modified - distributor next
From: "Richard Bittmann" <edmyed@harbornet.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:41:06 -0800
Hi Rich & List,

I ended up remodeling the 7/8" circilp I had retaining the steering wheel (too
well, since the steering wheel couldn't be adjusted) into a proper sized
spring ring by grinding the outside to the correct 15/16" diameter.  It goes
on and comes off easily.

Last step before firing off the engine is to finish the DM6A distributor.  I'm
having it re-bushed and I bought a centrifugal advance spring set from Denis
Welch containing 3 sets of springs.  Can you tell me if a good mechanic with
the right diagnostic equipment can set the distributor up for optimum
performance suited to my engine's stock BJ8 cam.  I've heard there is some
voodoo to this art.  I have the name from the list for someone in the
Southwest who does this but don't have the time go that route.  Can someone
shed light on this procedure?

Richard Bittmann BJ7