How I got owned by my Healey

To: "'healeys@autox.team.net'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: How I got owned by my Healey
From: Rizzo Steven D LtCol AETC/XPRU <Steven.Rizzo@RANDOLPH.AF.MIL>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:14:26 -0600
Good day, Listers,
Kinda late on this thread as I have been really busy during the holidays,
etc. but noticed lots of interest on this thread subject so, hopefully, you
aren't all bored on it yet:  So, my story:  I have owned - or have been
owned by - my 65 BJ8 since 1972.  She never nags, never sulks and is always
ready for a good time!!    I first saw a mid-fifties model Healey parked
outside the town "soda shop" after school one day in, say 1963 or so.  Loved
its lines, but didn't know what it was - soon found out it was owned by one
of the "in crowd" rich kids.  Never realized it was a Healey until many
years later.  However, never really forgot the car.   Then a few years later
while on a date with a really nice young lady  in college we talked about
"what kind of car I would really like to have".  We were sitting in my '54
Ford sedan.....  She said she would like to have an Austin-Healey, saying it
was really the neatest (or somesuch) car.  Not knowing what a Healey
was....I didn't have a comeback, but said I wanted an XKE.  Made the mistake
of NOT marrying her.... After graduating and earning money several years
later in 1972 I decided to go after the XKE.  I was stationed in Sacramento,
CA and looked in the want ads, etc.  Didn't find an XKE, but saw an ad for a
Healey.  It was a 'bad boy' conversion with a 350 Corvette engine.  I didn't
like the way it drove and as I already had a SS Camaro with the 350, I
didn't buy it but the next day or so saw an ad for a '65.  Had to go look at
it - it was "all there" but sitting in the rear of a residential lot
surrounded by overgrown weeds.  The owner had parked her because he had lost
his license for too many speeding tickets.....   I decided I had to have the
car.  She was battleship gray and had a couple of dents in the left rear
fender, but something just told me I  had to have her.  Gave the guy $1800
and drove her home.   Wife drove the Camaro - she took it as devorce spoils,
too.
"The Healey" as we call her has been painted twice since then.  The last
time in 1979 when I did an "owner restorartion", but the lacquer has held up
well.  Have only had a little dogleg rust and replaced the panel then.  Car
is in great shape and I love her dearly.  Used to drive her daily but now
she is my "escape ride" on nice days, etc.  Have never really missed the
XKE, but did own an XK-150 for a while, too.  Wish you all a great new year!

Stever