Body Work - Welding

To: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Body Work - Welding
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 06:09:39 -0800
I'm getting ready to attempt to install patch panels on the rear wings
(the front
"dog leg" were there is often rust).  The patch panels are "joggled"
(flanged) at the
top for a joggle/overlap, but I'd really like to cut the joggle off and
butt-weld.  I
have a small wire welder (not MIG, but capable), and I'm wondering if
anybody
has tried this and what their results were.  In particular, I'm
concerned about
excessive warpage (my goal is to use as little filler as possible).

I know of the "TwentyGauge" wire that should work better than flux wire,
but
I'm tempted to try this with just flux wire.  Anybody been able to do
this cleanly?

TIA,
bs