Re: Fuel Pump

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>, Healey List
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 13:16:40 -0800
Bob:

I don't have a current VB catalogue, and their website does not seem to
allow catalogue browsing on-line, so I'm doing a little guessing here.

I have been using an electronic pump 'MOPROD' brand (supplied from the UK
but don't know where it's made) for many years.  It is a diaphragm type pump
with correct pressure and flow specs for SU carbs, using a LED switching
circuit instead of the dreaded points.  I have seen the exact same pump from
other suppliers, so I suspect that they are being fairly widely distributed.

I have lots of miles on both cars using this pump and have not had problems
with them.  The 'MOPROD' brand comes with an adapter disc (plastic) that
screws to the pump body, and the original studs thread into the disc.  The
pump is then mounted as the original was, using the original banjo bolts (if
they have not been cut off by a previous owner).  Other suppliers may not be
providing the disc in the box, which would mean some adapting to fit the
pump to a Healey pump bracket.

Being plastic bodied, the electronics are isolated so the pump can easily be
installed in either POS or NEG ground cars - just switch the leads.

The only caution I would have is to not overtighten the banjo bolts, as they
are being threaded into the plastic body.  The pumps come with a set of
softish white sealing rings that really work - just a hair past finger tight
is all that's needed, they never seem to leak.

In my experience, it's the only way to go - you still get the authentic
'beat' of the original pump, and they seem to be pretty much fool proof - I
wouldn't go back to the pointed pumps for any reason.  They work well when
the car is driven daily, but tend to give problems when the cars sit for
periods of time.

I have a spare pump on the shelf - what I can do is take a digital pic and
send it to you if it will help you determine exactly what the VB pump is -
just let me know.  Or, if you have a scanner, you could send me the page
from the VB catalogue - whatever works.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb