Re: oil in coolant

To: "John O'Brien" <banjojohn@cox.net>
Subject: Re: oil in coolant
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:41:05 -0700
Hi John,

You have my sympathy. Moss & Cape International both used to sell a
repair kit. If a water passage rusted into an oil gallery, the kit was
supposed to make it possible to drill the offending oil passage, insert
a stainless steel liner, swage the ends  & install special plugs.
Finding the actual leak or leaks will not be exactly easy. If one spot
leaks & is successfully repaired, how soon before another leak develops?
Remember that the water jacket has rusted into an oil passage.

I have serious doubts that this operation could be accomplished
successfully or that the repair would last for long. An experienced
machine shop that was familiar with the procedure "might" be able to get
it right, but there is much to go wrong in the drilling, liner
installation, & end sealing.  At the very least, the block should be
completely stripped & all oil passages thoroughly cleaned after such a
repair.

The kit is listed in some of the Moss catalogs as #328-595 but doesn't
show on their website. Cape International lists a similar kit #ORK on
their website, but again, I'm not sure that it is actually available
anymore. It's likely that the product was pulled because it didn't work
very well.

I would never feel good about or trust a block that was repaired in this
manner. The bad news is that it's better to replace the block if this
turns out to be the actual problem. The good news is that the problem
doesn't happen very often.

Maybe someone with positive experience will give a different opinion.

Regards,
Dave Russell

   Anyway, I think