Engine rebuild

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine rebuild
From: WWSCPO@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:30:35 EST
Hi,

I'm at the point in my restoration that I need to turn my attention to the
engine/drivetrain. I have pulled the head and found lots of carbon on all the
valve faces with 5 and 6 also showing rust.  The valves seem to be sitting,
uniformly, ever so slightly proud of the seats.  The piston tops are  also
carboned with 5 and 6 showing similar rust.  The head gasket had  carbon
leeching
between 5 and 6.

The bottom looks clean and the cam lobes appear unworn as do the bottoms of
the lifters. I have yet to plastigauge any of the bearings.

I am thinking resurfacing the faces of the head and block for true flat,
magnafluxing both, replacing the the valve guides and necessary valves as
determined. Also honing the cylinders and replacing the rings.  I have also
heard
that one should install the rear seal kit.  Is line boring an  automatic?  Any
ballpark $$$$  anticipated to do this?  Your  experiences and opinions are
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill Schumann  BJ8 38046
Nahant, MA

P.S.  The car has sat indoors since 1983