Re: Amateur vs. Professional Restoration - Concours Angle

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Amateur vs. Professional Restoration - Concours Angle
From: "Reid Trummel" <editor_reid@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:49:22 +0000
Jim,

Your statement about your BN2's restoration, "It's not for concours
purposes, but on a ground-up it's just as easy to do it right, so why not?"
warms the hearts of concours committee folks.  This is one of the best uses
of the Concours Guidelines, and one that some people seem to have a hard
time grasping.

The Concours Guidelines booklet is a reference document, compiled for the
benefit of anyone -- anyone -- restoring a Healey, whether a full or partial
restoration.  For those with interest in, and respect for, originality, it
should be just that: a reference used throughout the work, whether or not
the car will ever be submitted for judging.

Heaven knows we don't need another "concours thread" (wherein some people
vociferously demonstrate a near-complete lack of understanding of what it's
all about and why it exists, but express very strong opinions about it
anyway), but your car's restoration appears to be -- based upon your
statement -- a perfect example of how the Concours Guidelines serve even
those who may not be interested in getting their cars judged.

By the way, your BN2 sounds a lot like one of mine: restored (mostly) to
Concours Guidelines standards, and has the Le Mans kit  -- all original kit
parts, plus an original louvered bonnet -- and can easily be "put back"
since I kept all of the standard parts.  Just drove it two days ago on about
the only rainless day here in Portland, Oregon since mid-December.  Alas,
the Oregon winter has not been kind to us this year.

Reid Trummel
Portland, Oregon
100, 100M, Ski-Master