Re: Re. fuses

To: Jonathan and Carole Quandt <fourqz@earthlink.net>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re. fuses
From: Robert Larson <robertlarson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:52:41 -0500
Hi All,

              A piece to the fuse puzzle that is often overlooked or
unknown is that British fuses are not the same as the American fuses.
Amps are Amps but the manner in which the fuses are rated is NOT the
same.  So when you blow a fuse and it is a 20A Lucas  fuse you just
can't go to your nearest Napa or Auto Zone and get a 20A  fuse to
replace it.  You actually want a 10A fuse to replace it.   If this is
not taken into consideration the harness itself can become the fuse!!

              From 60's motorcycle experience I got my first lesson in
this the hard way.    Back then Frank from Marmo's Triumph in Paterson
NJ gave me the rough guide of using 1/2 the British rating when putting
an American fuse in and I have gone with this since.  May not be exact
but has been a reasonable approach since then.

               Before posting this I looked for some documentation about
this and here are 2 links that shed some light on the fuse issue and
anyone with a deeper interest can go Google'ing for more.

http://snic-braaapp.org/itech02.htm#Fuses

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/Fuses.html

> Bob

     55BN1
      Misc. British Motorcycles   1948 to 1979