Preloading the frame (was: Re: Help"" need outer sill pictures,

To: "William Moyer" <William.Moyer@millersville.edu>
Subject: Preloading the frame (was: Re: Help"" need outer sill pictures,
From: Roland Wilhelmy <rwil@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:37:02 -0800
Maybe there is a difference between the four-cylinder cars and their
longer 6-cylinder bretheren?  I loaded down the x member area of our
BN1 with 300 pounds of silica sand bags in place of tranny and engine
(and also in place of driver and passenger?  they weigh a signifigant
amount, too) before some sill, outrigger and quarter panel repairs and
replacements.  However, I couldn't neither see nor measure any
difference in the fit of the doors with and without the 300# of sand.
So I don't think it made any difference in chassis alignment that the
sand was there.

If adding 300 to 400 pounds of driver and passenger wouldn't affect
the door fit much (and it doesn't appear that it would) I wonder
whether the concern about weight may be over done, or is perhaps
something that applies to the 'stretch' version of the big Healey: the
sixes?

-Roland
BN1